Your customer lying puts you in a very awkward and uncomfortable position. You must handle this delicately. As a refined professional, you never want to come right out and say to your customer, “we know you are lying!” Use phrases such as:
– “Our research shows us the following.”
– “After speaking to the people who saw or heard the event, they understand the situation differently.”
– “Do you believe there could possibly be a different explanation?”
Hopefully, at this point the customer will realize that in your mind their story is suspect and will retreat from the situation. If not, and the customer wants a refund or compensation, you have two choices.
- If it is a small amount or item, you might decide it is not worth the time or emotional investment and give in.
- If it is a much more complex and expensive situation, you can respectfully explain to the customer that due to the facts you disagree and will not be honoring the request.